Health and Wellbeing Centre
The Health and Wellbeing Centre in Winchmore Hill is North London Hospice’s setting for their Outpatient and Therapies service. The centre has a multi professional team who work with you to enable you to live as well as is possible, focussing on what is important to you.
Who is the service for?
The service is for anyone who has been affected by a potential life limiting illness – those with a cancer diagnosis as well as those with later stage respiratory conditions, rare neurological conditions and heart failure.
Referrals can be made by any healthcare professional and we also accept self-referrals to the service, just phone the First Contact Team on 020 8343 8841. Once a referral has been accepted you will be offered an appointment with one of the team to discuss your needs and concerns, identify goals and work out a personal programme with you.
What does the service offer?
The service can offer support in the following areas:
- Managing symptoms such as pain, nausea, anxiety
- Rehabilitation and Self-management – opportunities to improve and maintain fitness and your ability to manage everyday activities. Support learning strategies and ways to help manage your condition such as breathlessness and fatigue or low self esteem
- Psychological, Spiritual and Emotional Wellbeing – time and space to help process feelings and emotions through talking, learning techniques or using therapies such as art so that you feel more in control of your life
- Complementary Therapies – to help manage pain and symptoms, therapies for relaxation and your wellbeing
- Wellbeing and Companionship – opportunities to meet others and share experiences, learn new interests or hobbies and enjoy yoga or meditation.
- Help with making difficult decisions, having conversations and planning for the future
- All aspects of the service are offered individually or within a group in the format of a short course, single workshop on ongoing drop in sessions
- We also support those that are important to you
Our team of palliative care specialist includes Doctors, Nurses, Social Workers, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Spiritual Care facilitators, Complementary Therapists, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Creative Art Therapists and Wellbeing staff. We are also supported by a skilled group of volunteers who work in all areas of the Centre.
The Health and Wellbeing Centre is a light, contemporary building opened in 2012, specifically designed as an outpatient facility. The gardens offer some tranquillity and peace with a water feature, trees, various shrubs and small areas of seating.
Three days a week our chef prepares a lunch time meal which can be purchased, if you have an appointment on that day. Tea, coffee and cold drinks are always available on request
We also offer some of our Health and Wellbeing services at our Finchley site.